What is the programme?
The core programme includes three hours of English classes each morning plus an extra hour of speaking activities after lunch with professional, experienced British Council teachers.
Children will improve their English communication and confidence as well as build their knowledge and vocabulary. This is followed by activities in English each afternoon. The classes will focus on communication in English and the skills of listening and speaking.
Our Summer Camp syllabus follows an inquiry/project based learning approach, considers 21st Century Skills, and includes engaging topic-based lessons which naturally build and connect to the overarching weekly theme.
How will my child benefit?
Your child will develop confidence and fluency in using English, expand their vocabulary and grammatical range and also have a positive experience of learning English which will motivate them in the future. They will also gain some new skills and knowledge, and make some new friends. Afternoon activities will be conducted in English so that students have an opportunity to further develop their language skills.
Who will look after my child?
All children will be supervised by an adult at all times while at the school. There will be a supervising teacher on site at all times and responsible assistants to supervise lunch and breaks. Afternoon activities will be led either by visiting experts or by teachers, with suitable assistants.
What happens if my child is ill or has an accident?
Prior to the registration we will ask you to fill in a form to let us know about any pre-existing medical conditions and, where relevant, a medical contact we should use in case of an emergency. We will also require two emergency contact numbers for all children. If your child becomes ill or has a minor accident we will use the contact numbers immediately to advise you of the condition of your child and agree any action. There will be a trained first aider on site at all times to assess any child who is sick. Where the situation demands it, we will contact the emergency services first, and then notify you as soon as possible of the situation.
What exactly are the afternoon activities?
The detailed programme will vary somewhat from week to week but will include drama sessions, cricket, dance, scavenger hunts, arts & craft activities, games and sports activities in English, Krav Maga etc. Each week has a separate theme such as Our World, Storytelling, Art & History.
What about lunch and snacks?
A warm lunch will be provided each day by our catering partners. Snacks may include fruit, sweet and savoury items. Water and squash will be available throughout the day.
What if my child has a special diet?
You should advise us at the time of booking about any allergies and we will inform you whether it is possible to provide suitable meals.
Can my child bring his/her own food?
Yes, providing it is suitably wrapped. However, we will not be able to discount the price in this case. Children typically bring additional snacks of their own choice but have the meals provided by the school. Note that we do not have facilities to warm food.
What do I need to provide on the first day?
• The health declaration form (risk of infection) including a copy of your child’s health insurance card. These documents do not need to be signed by a doctor.
• Any medicines with dispensing instructions.
Note that we will require you to provide this information on the first morning of the school and sign a declaration. You should allow time to complete these formalities when you drop off your child on the first morning.
What does my child need to bring with them?
• indoor gym shoes
• outdoor sports shoes with no heels
• comfortable clothes for both interior and exterior
• a sun hat, sun glasses, sun cream
• a small bag and drink bottle with a name label
• pencil case with pens and pencils for the morning English classes
When can I bring my child along to camp?
Between 08.15 and 09.00. Please note the sessions begin at 09.00m. On the first Monday please come early as we will need to check all the relevant documents.
Please note that your child’s safety is of the utmost importance to us. Parents/guardians/ adults not registered as one of our teachers or assistants, are therefore not allowed past the registration desk either at drop off or pick up. We will have photo board with photos of the classrooms, teachers, and assistants at the registration desk so that you can see where your child will be and who will be taking care of them.
When can I pick up my child from camp?
At 17.00. Please come on time! We are unable to look after you children after hours, so please make every effort to be waiting in front of the entrance to the reception by 17:00.
Children will not normally be able to leave the camp any earlier than 16:50. In exceptional circumstances, if your child needs to leave the camp earlier, please provide a signed letter.
What we recommend leaving at home:
Any valuable items, jewellery, expensive electronic devices, etc. All clothing should be name-tagged to identify its owner.
Course fee and payment
The course fee must be paid in full within three days from registration either by payment card, bank transfer or bank transfer against invoice. For payment against invoice, we need an order approved by a representative of a sponsor company prior to registration.
The course fee includes all learning materials, lunch (when applicable), light refreshment and drinks and the afternoon activities.
Cancellation of the course
Once you have registered for a course you may only cancel under the following circumstances:
- For cancellations made up to 21 calendar days before the start of the course, an administration fee of CZK 500 will be charged for each refund request.
- For cancellations made less than 21 calendar days before the start of the course but more than 7 days before the start of the course, a refund worth 50% of the fee will be received less 500 CZK admin fee.
- For cancellations made less than 7 calendar days before the start of the course 100% of the course fee will be charged.
- It is possible to transfer the given week course (instead of cancelling the course) providing there are still spaces available. This transfer must be requested by last Thursday 12 p.m. before the course starts at the latest. An administration fee of CZK 500 will be charged for requests received after 30 April 2021.
- For cancellations due to medical reason requested less than 7 days before the start of the course (of any given week) an administration fee of CZK 1,000 will be charged.
- Cancellations due to medical reason – after the beginning of the course (of any given week) any day attended will be charged for and 50% of the fee for the unattended days will be refunded. An administration fee of CZK 500 will be charged.
- Cancellation due to medical reasons has to be supported by a doctor's note.
- If your child becomes ill during the day or is sent home by the British Council for showing for example coronavirus symptoms, no refund is possible for that day but 50% of the fee for unattended lessons can be refunded (as per medical reasons). An administration fee 500 CZK will be charged.
- If your child is sent home by the British Council for unacceptable behavior, e.g., continuously refusing to follow a teacher’s instructions and/or putting other students at risk, no refund will be given.
The refund or credit will be provided only upon receiving the original British Council receipt attached to your written request.
Refunds can only be paid by bank transfer. Please attach your bank account details to your written request.
Alterations of the course programme
Should there be an insufficient number of students by the start of a course (minimum 6 students), the British Council reserves the right to cancel the course. On cancellation of the course, the full course fee will be refunded.
In the event that the British Council is unable to run a face-to-face Summer Camp due to government restrictions around the spread of Covid-19, another forced closure by the Government or force majeure reason, the Client will be eligible for a refund.
The course arrangement
All students shall comply with the hygienic measures that were announced before the course start by email and notification in the course premises. In this regard, the parents make their children aware of the measures.
The British Council reserves the right to refuse entry to any student displaying symptoms of Covid-19 to the course premises. In this case, a student is not eligible for reimbursement (credits or refund) for missed lessons.
General Terms and Conditions
Contractual rights and obligations which are not specified in this registration form (application) are governed by the relevant provisions of the Terms and Conditions an actual version of which is published at the website of the British Council and can be found at the following link: https://www.britishcouncil.cz/en/english/register/terms-conditions
In case of contradiction between the provisions of this application and the Terms and Conditions, provisions of this application have a priority.