The British Council is the United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.
The British Council is incorporated in England and Wales by Royal Charter and registered as a charity (under number 209131 in England and Wales and number SC03773 in Scotland). Our registered office is at 10 Spring Gardens, London, SW1A 2BN. We operate globally through local offices.
Other applicable terms
The following additional terms will also apply to your Purchase:
- our Terms of Sale, which describes the registration process, payment terms, refund and cancellation rights relating to your Purchase.
The British Council is the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in the Digital Service and in the design, structure, ‘look and feel’ and the arrangement of the Digital Service.
On payment of the applicable fee for the Digital Service, the British Council hereby grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable licence to access and use the Digital Service in accordance with these Terms and Conditions only.
You agree not to:
- provide access to the Digital Services to any other individual or legal entity;
- disrupt, interfere with or restrict the use of the services provided by the British Council;
- upload or display any comments or materials through your participation in the Digital Service which are false, offensive, sexually explicit, defamatory, threatening, obscene or unlawful or which infringe intellectual property rights;
- probe, scan or test the vulnerability of the Digital Service or attempt to circumvent or hack any user authentication or security controls in respect of the Digital Service;
- reverse compile, disassemble, reverse engineer, decompile, copy, duplicate, modify or adapt any software or other code or scripts forming part of the Digital Service (except to the extent permitted by law) or attempt to transmit to or via the Digital Service any information that contains a virus, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful or disruptive component;
- change, modify, delete, interfere with or misuse any files or other data created, owned or provided by the British Council or any third party provided as part of the Digital Service (except as expressly permitted under these Terms and Conditions); or
- use the Digital Service in contravention of any applicable law.
We will use reasonable endeavours to make the Digital Service available at the date and time agreed as part of your Purchase.
However, owing to the nature of the internet, the British Council does not and cannot warrant or guarantee that your use of the Digital Service will be uninterrupted or error-free. We are not responsible for any delays, delivery failures, or any other loss or damage resulting from the transfer of data over communications networks and facilities, including the internet, and you acknowledge that the Digital Service may be subject to limitations, delays and other problems inherent in the use of such communications facilities.
You are responsible for ensuring you have in place all hardware, software and telecommunications necessary to use the Digital Service and shall be responsible for all related charges, including the fees of internet service providers.
Disclaimers and limitation of liability
Although we will use reasonable endeavours to ensure the content of the Digital Service is accurate and up-to-date, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that it is.
To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to our site or any content on it, whether express or implied.
The British Council encourages freedom of expression, but the views expressed by individuals through the Digital Service may not represent the views of the British Council.
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude or restrict either party’s liability for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence (or in the case of the British Council, that of its employees while acting in the course of their employment) or for fraudulent misrepresentation or in any other circumstances where liability may not be limited under any applicable law.
Under no circumstances shall either party be liable to the other for any actual or alleged indirect loss or consequential loss howsoever arising. This provision may not apply in case you are a consumer as legally defined by the applicable Czech law.
Subject to the above, the maximum liability of either party to the other under or in connection with these Terms and Conditions, whether in contract, tort, negligence, breach of statutory duty or otherwise, shall not exceed an amount equal to the fees paid or payable for the Digital Service. This provision may not apply in case you are a consumer as legally defined by the applicable Czech law.
The British Council believes that all children have potential and that every child matters – everywhere in the world. The British Council affirms the position that all children have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse as set out in article 19, UNCRC 1989.
Please note that these Terms and Conditions, their subject matter and formation, are governed by English law. However, in case you are a consumer as legally defined by the applicable Czech law, this choice of English law may not have the result of depriving you of the protection afforded to you by the applicable Czech law. You and we both agree to that the courts of England and Wales will have non-exclusive jurisdiction. This means that all claims relating to these Terms and Conditions and/or the Digital Service can be settled by a judge (or a number of judges) in an English court. However, the British Council retains the right to bring proceedings against you for breach of these Terms and Conditions in your country of residence or any other relevant country. This provision may not apply if you are a consumer as legally defined by the applicable Czech law in which case you may bring proceedings against us for breach of these Terms and Conditions either in the courts of England and Wales or in the country in which you are domiciled and we may brought proceedings against you for breach of these Terms and Conditions only in the country in which you are domiciled.
Contacting the British Council
If you would like to make any comment or complaint relating to your Purchase, please see our Customer Services webpage.